Saturday, February 27, 2010

Portuguese Cooking Delight


When I first heard of these 2 guys I was a bit skeptical. I was even more taken aback when they told me the traditional Portuguese dish they want to prepare and teach to the class wold be Cod fish with Potatoes. I had to laugh - you cannot get any more NORWEGIAN food than this! They were quick to explain that there is a book called "1001 ways to prepare cod" and that their mashed potatoes will be just perfect.

I am not a big fan of fish so I was pushing for a nice dessert - it came in the forms of a lovely orange cake, a courtesy of Antonio's mum. Still... I had my reservations. Then we went shopping for the ingredients. It turned out to be so much fun that both Sharon and I started to believe that the cooking party will be fun, too. Potato hunting, fighting with green vegetables, running away from stinky fish...etc. :)

As Sharon pointed it out on facebook, she and I have so many hats to wear during these parties. I ended up doing the registration, check-in, talk, be in charge of the salad and do quality control, now that was something I didn't complain about. I had to make sure the mixture was perfect. :)
Pedro and his people were peeling potatoes and preparing the fish. (The dry cod was in fresh water for 3 days to get most of the salt out.)




Antonio got his people to make sure both cakes were coming nicely. I was running around answering questions, Sharon did pretty much the same, but she had a camera, too.
Here are some pictures so you would get the feeling. Needless to say, the food was excellent. What a better compliment than me eating fish with a smile on my face...

And the cake... my goodness, SOOOOO GOOD! :)

No comments: