Saturday, February 27, 2010

Art

I like creative people. A lot!

And if you think Stavanger city is too small for arts and artists you'd be surprised to know that Sandness (an even smaller town in this region) has a lot to offer...

First let's have a look at a small café. The 3rd top Barista in Norway stands behind the desk and with a friendly smile he asks me in English what kind of coffee I want today. :) There is really nothing I cannot ask from him and soon I am sitting with my perfect coffee soy-latte and a chili-chocolate stick, enjoying the warmth of the mug under my fingers while the smell of this wonderful treat caresses my senses.

There is a small Art Gallery nearby where they show Yang Fudong's greatest work: "Seven Intellectuals in Bamboo Forest". He is China's best contemporary director whose 5 films were never allowed to be shown together before. I have seen part 3 and 4 and was really impressed with it. Here is a peek - picture taken when the intellectuals go to the big city.


Next to the theater room I met Yasuaki, a resident artist from Japan who was working on his latest installment when I saw him. He was so delighted to meet somebody who has been to Osaka where he is from that he took the time to explain me some of his latest works - it was truly fascinating.


















He used black paint to color the glue. This black glue when dried makes a great material for sculpturing. His creations hang from the roof - as you can see, I was lying under it. Plain plastic is used to create negative space and making it look like the objects are under the plastic sheet. Brilliant!
(this last picture shows his art work from below)

Like I said, I enjoy creative people. A LOT!

No comments: