Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ice-skating on glass / Korizni tükörjégen

The temperature outside is -10 Celsius. The sun is shining, no clouds to be seen. People are either working or in school so I find myself ALONE on a Friday morning gazing around at the beach of Central Europe's biggest fresh water lake; Balaton (Plattensee).

-10 fok van kint, a nap hétágra süt, felhő sehol. Péntek délelőtt révén a jónép vagy dolgozik, vagy suliban, szóval tökegyedül nézek szép a kenesei strandon. Íme, a Balaton, télen.

The water is entirely frozen; the surface is a bit bumpy at the beginning, but unbelievable smooth as you go deeper. I pass the sign that says "deep water, only for swimmers" and enjoy the sounds. Sometimes the ice layer cracks and the bubbles run around everywhere under the ice thus creating a very unique and scary sound.
Every once in a while I hear a cracking sound under my skate that keeps my adrenalin level high. :) But that's part of the excitement. The water is shallow, worst case scenario I would end up only in a knee-high icy water...
It's fun to look down, you see the sand below you. Sometimes you even see frozen bubbles - they didn't make it to the surface.

Ameddig a szem ellát, a tó be van fagyva. A jég a szélén még kissé zötyög, de amint beljebb haladtam, egyre jobban kisimult, végül már olyan volt, mintha tükrön siklanék! Néha valahol a távolban megtörik a jég, és a felszín alá szökő buborékok végigszaladnak a jégtakaró alatt és egyedi hangjuk messzire eljut. Néha persze a korim alatt is hallok egy-egy apró recsegést, de ez legalább az adrenalin szintemet magasan tartja. :) Legrosszabb esetben is csak combig süllyednék a jeges vízben.
Alul látszanak a hullámok a homokban. Még néhány buborékot is sikerült megörökíteni, amelyek nem jutottak el a felszínig.

Naivete: I thought I knew how to do a ballet on ice... well... here are the stages:
Kis naívan azt gondoltam, tudok balettozni a jégen... íme a fázisok:

And just when I thought I can defeat gravity and show some balance on ice...
És mikor már azt hittem, sikerül megtalálnom az egyensúlyi pontot és legyőzni a gravitációt...
But nothing, I said NOTHING can keep me down for too long!

De semmi, ismétlem: SEMMI sem tud lent tartani túl sokáig!

1 comment:

Jelea said...

I love skating! I have a skating rink right across the street from my house!! It's nothing like this gorgeous lake that you get to skate on - lucky you!